Friday, March 13, 2009

Sleepless Nights & Chinese Food

I cannot believe that we have been home almost 1 full month!! Time flies- and sleep too!! :)

Grace came home on February 21st, 2009 weighing 5 lbs 5 oz. Today she weighs 6 lbs 8 oz!! Can you believe how much she has grown? I can hardly stand it, it is going WAY TOO FAST!

She does the most adorable things now that she's really coming into her own. She has this weird reflex, we call it the "puppy leg", where when startled, she'll wiggle her leg like a puppy getting itched- too cute! She's started to smile, especially when she's sleeping. She's imitating us now, sticking her tongue out at us, when we do it to her. She loves to play games- we kiss her and move away, kiss her and move away and she'll anticipate our next move.
Of course, our good times have been filled with other not so good or fun times too.... We spend usually at least 2-3 days per week at various doctor's visits: pediatrician, gastroenterologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, nutritionist, speech therapist, etc.
Grace has been diagnosed with a milk protein allergy too, so we've switched foods, we've had an ear infection, and even have been admitted to the hospital overnight for a collapsed lung! Whew! She keeps me on my toes, that's for sure. To keep all my dates, times, diagnosis' straight, I've started a Grace binder, keeping all of her records in one place. It's her bible- I really don't leave home without it.

The 1st two nights having her home were a dream- she slept through the night! Felix and I got so overconfident, saying we could totally be parents, and then reality sunk in... she slept maybe 2 hours the next four nights- ICK! She's back to sleeping mostly through the night, with a diaper change or two in the midst.

I am asked by friends and family how I continue to do this- and I must say, it literally is the TOUGHEST job I have ever done- it's not a one person job, if it wasn't for my mom being here to help whenever I need her, I would fail miserably. Between Felix, myself, my mom and Pam, we've eaten, cleaned house, replaced feeding tubes, changed oxygen tanks, changed millions of dirty diapers, bottle fed, visited doctors, laughed, cried and yelled- it's a crazy life, but one I would never give up in a million years.
Stay tuned for new photos and videos- I'm finally getting my routine down. Showers, unfortunately, haven't been included. It's impossible to shower when you have a million and one alarms going off, either because Grace puked, pooped, peed or is bored, tired or hungry.... that's where again my mom comes in- she's my shower relief! Thank God for mothers!!
We managed to sneak in our first family outing- a simple dinner @ the local Chinese restaurant- Big Buddha. It was great to have a beer with one another and celebrate our homecoming.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment